Advertisement

German Historical figures

topic posted Thu, April 29, 2004 - 10:49 AM by  Åmªzºn¡Kª
Share/Save/Bookmark
Advertisement

For those of you who are history buffs, I'd be interested to know if you have any favorite people from history, and why do you find them so fascinating?

I realize that the definition of "German" is blurred as we go back in time, so let's roughly limit it to people who either lived in or ruled over German-speaking lands.

I'm fascinated by Frederick the Great. I really enjoyed visiting Potsdam/Sanssouci and touring the amazing royal grounds and buildings, specially the Neue Palais, which has been recently restored. I think his life story and his family were incredibly fascinating. I also really like the era's art, architecture, and costume. It must have been a strange and interesting time to live.

There's a good introductory book about him called simply "Frederick the Great" by Nancy Mitford, which I recommend. It helped me sort out all the various Fredericks and Wilhems (very confusing!) and to understand his place in history a lot better.

I was particularly impressed that despite his grandiose lifestyle and extravagance, he requested to be buried in a very simple grave, marked only by a stone plaque, and buried next to his favorite Italian greyhounds.
Advertisement
Advertisement

Recent topics in "Germany"